View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
KellyV
YT 500 Club Member

You need to take into account the amount of moisture in the raw (considering there's NONE in dry).

NV's Venison Formula (according to their website) has a max moisture content of 68% and min protein content of 13%.

Start with 100%, subtract out the moisture content.
100-68 = 32% (which is the dry content matter)
Take that 13% protein, divided by the 32% dry content and you get .41 or 41%

So really they're pretty close to each other.

But you also need to consider the quality of the protein source. Real meat is more easily digested than the processed meats found in kibble. It's likely that more of the raw protein was digested than that in the kibble.

Have you had her tear ducts flushed? I've seen them get plugged enough times.... Or maybe she doesn't have any! I met a dog once that actually didn't have tear ducts so he was always tearing/staining because his tears didn't drain properly.

Did you try adding fish oil to the raw? I've found it helps tremendously with skin/coat. One of my long haired cats doesn't mat since I've started her on it and all of them shed markedly less.

NV raw medallions aren't enough to help her teeth. Once tartar is formed it needs to be physically removed and the soft texture of the raw won't do that. You need bones for that (or a dental cleaning). My kids love chicken necks. There's a lot of bone on 'em and they're forced to chew and crunch on them, which scrapes their teeth in the process.

Even if you didn't visibly see the benefits of raw, they're still there..... I could go on and on, but since you're asking about the protein and not really the benefits and for the sake of keeping the thread on topic, I won't.
KellyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!