Thread: Home alone
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
melanie daley
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokche View Post
When did you start leaving your dog alone in the house?
She is in her crate 5 days a week from 7h45 am to 4h45 pm. She has water, toys and a blanket. I leave music on and she looks outside the patio door. She can hold her pipi for that long.
If I leave her loose in the house she cries and she recently (she is 9 months) started to chew anything woody... I feel she is not secure in the house.
Some of my friends said they started trusting their dogs at around 18 months to 2 years old...
I feel guilty and I would like to remove her from the travelling crate? And her crate is for Yorkies and Chihuahua... under 10 pounds. She is 5 pounds. I feel it could be a bit small but from what I see it should be ok. She can stand up and turn around. Thats about it!

I have two kids, so in the morning and at night she gets quite the exercise... Right now, in Ottawa CAnada, its winter and we had so much snow this year it is hard to bring her for walks...

Any thought on home alone dogs?
Roxi is 8 months old and we used to keep her in the play pen, which was about 4x4... about 2 months ago (6months old) we decided since she was barking a lot that maybe it was due to the fact that she couldn't run around and play and felt trapped.. so we decided to give her the living room at first and then living room and kitchen, we have a door that closes off to the bedrooms and bathrooms. I was so nervous when I was about to open the door for the 1st time coming back but she did amazing!! I just made sure there was nothing she could hurt herself with potentially, and put on Animal Planet!! She has been so much happier since and hasn't made a mess in any way (god I hope I'm not jinxing myself here!!!) But only having enough room to turn around I would say must be very upsetting to the little baby!! Maybe just start with stepping it up to a decent size play pen? then maybe after a while let her have the run of one room.. thats what we did and it worked out great!!
Good Luck!!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!