View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
a2luckygirl
YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mire View Post
I live in a 5 story building where many people have dogs. There is one dog in particular who lives on the first floor ( a Jack Russell type) who tends to bark and lunge whenever he sees any dog, including ours. He also barks at humans if he feels they get too 'close'. My Yorkie, on the other hand, is loving and trusting and loves to play with other dogs when given the chance. So we always keep them away from each other.

We have lived in this building nearly 3 years (we live on the third floor) and we know to avoid this dog and have often gone out of our way to avoid this dog whenever we see him. Unfortunately this morning, apparently our dog got a bit too close to the Jack Russell. The Jack Russell bit my Yorkie right above the nose. The owner of the Jack Russell apologized and left. My husband who had been walking my Yorkie, claimed not to notice any damage and came home.

When I checked my dog's nose minutes later, that's when I saw the bloody gash (keep in mind his nose is very furry). I insisted that my husband go down and tell the Jack Russell owners that our dog was injured but he refused. We got into an argument about it which I am still quite upset about it.

What is my recourse here? Legally, I don't understand how the Jack Russell owners could be walking a biter around in public.. worse, they have a newborn! I am very concerned besides being upset, that I should be reporting this to someone. Or at least we should go to the neighbors, explain about the injury and ask that they be more careful -- maybe even ask them to purchase a muzzle for their dog? Is that too much to ask? Is that out of line? I need to know if anyone has experienced something similar and what is within my rights to do here. I really don't want to get the City involved because they have a newborn and they are my neighbors after all-- I don't want stress & tension when I walk around my neighborhood.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated,
M
first I would ask for proof the dog is UTD on all shots!!!
Nice way to make sure they know that you dog did have the skin broken!! You really need to let them know this did break the skin on you dog!IMO!!
It sounds to me, like this is something they need to get a trainer involved with to correct the dogs aggression!!
Or they need to muzzel it when out around other dogs- which I do not like to see- think training is a much better option!
Hope your baby is just fine- and it sounds like it is- I know if Banjo was hurt, really- the whole apartment building would know! He'd scream and cry! I think most would!!!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!