View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
marcerella02
Loved by Layla
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
First, when is the last time she was vaccinated for parvo, distemper, hepatitis (adenovirus), bordatella and rabies?

Bord is Bordatella and I don't give it. Whatever you're comfortable with...

Lepto is a bacteria found in the urine of rats. It is prevalent on farms and in slow moving water (where bacteria thrives). Technically they can get it ever if they step in a puddle on the street with rat urine in it and then lick their paws. But, there are so many strains of it that you aren't guaranteed protection even with the vaccine. Most lepto vaccines also have to be given twice a year to ensure protection. Some vets try and scare you and tell you that if your dog gets lepto, you can get it from them. That is very true but you can also get it from infected water, so getting from a dog is the least of my worries. Yes, it is an extremely dangerous disease but some vets won't even give it to dogs under 10 pounds because it is just too dangerous. It has caused death in Yorkies (especially puppies) and should only be used in VERY high risk areas. I don't know where you can look to see if you are in a high risk area...I am looking for the same.
she got her one year booster... my vet at the time was not very forthcoming with info so i'm not sure WHAT exactly was in the booster... i do know she had rabies. does that change things?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!