Thread: Questions?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
Bizzymammabee
Luvs Lulu
Donating Member

A good thing to save yourself and future owners a lot of headaches is to have them tested for LP, Liver Shunt etc. I definitely wouldn't want to breed any dogs unless I have had them fully tested. As it is you don't really know their lines to see if he will throw small or large dogs which can be a problem for your female. I have heard other breeders also mention that they have a potential mate tested for STD's before they breed them.

See if you can find a breeder in the breeders section that lives nearby you so you can have them be your mentor. My dad used to breed his big dogs and that was fine. But when it comes to breeding these smaller babies lots of complications can arise. I suggest you find out what your vet will charge if she needs a c-section, also find out where the local emergency care facility is...just in case you need it. For some reason everyone's dogs seem to go into labor in the middle of the night. Try and prepare yourself financially if she needs to have a c-section. I have heard of that bad boy running up a good tab to have it done.

Since this is her first litter it's unknown if she will be able to free whelp or need a c-section so be ready for the worst to happen so you will be prepared. I think if you look in the breeders section you might also find a link to see what supplies you should have on hand for her delivery.

Last edited by Bizzymammabee; 03-18-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Bizzymammabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!