View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 08:46 AM   #12
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalina82 View Post
when i see threads like this i get all confused. All the hospitals i've ever worked for used a pre-med (different vets use different things), then 20 minutes later the dog is given propofol that lasts long enough to intubate and then the tube is connected to iso or sevo. IV catheters are always used as a precaution, all animals should be on fluids during any procedure that requires anesthesia.

what confuses me is that a lot of people here say things like they have to insist their vet use a gas anesthesia, or to use ISO or Sevo (don't know what else they would use), or that they not use certain pre-medications or anything other then propofol. I just cant believe that vets would do anything other then what i described in my first paragraph. its just not safe. Gas anesthesia should always be used in surgery, not just for high-risk surgeries. They should all be intubated. i just can't comprehend them not doing this. Honestly, is this what some peoples vets do in other parts of the country?
LOL...yes I'd really like to know also. There is no reason not to do it this way. Occasionally dogs are masked down with Iso if this drug poses the least threat to them but usually they are given an injection or a drug via IV and then intubated and then Iso or Sevo is started. If some vets aren't following this, I don't really think they should be practicing...
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!