View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 03:00 AM   #7
Ladyhawk
YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niki35010 View Post
Well, my little Fancy and Woody have done their deed!!! I am nervous but overly excited!!! They have tied 4 times already!!!! I tell you these little boys are very determined when the female is in standing heat!!!! Should I start feeding her puppy food right away??? What else can I be doing for her right now? I would appreciate any POSITIVE feed back that anyone has to give me!
Please read the book Canine Reproduction and Whelping by Myra Savant Harris. It strongly suggests that you do not put your pregnant bitch on puppy food or any other type of suppliment containing calcium as you will be setting her up for eclampsia. With increasing problems with weak, ineffective contractions making c-sections a necessity and eclampsia being on the rise they are now finding that supplimenting with calcium during pregnancy is causing laziness in the parathyroid which is not drawing the stored calcium from the bones when it is need during labor and lactation. If you are feeding puppy kibble, calcium rich foods such as cheese, or giving suppliments such as pet tabs you are putting your bitch at risk for uterine inertia and eclampsia. Four ties is more than enough to see the job done, there's no need to risk injury by allowing anymore at this point. Congrats on your upcoming ltter, you have alot of studying to do before May.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!