View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

[quote=dudley1984;1849546]
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2boyz View Post

It was actually a serious question. I know there must be a small minority of breeders who would do the decent thing and pay for the surgery for a shunt puppy they produced, but I suspect many more would dispose of the problem in some cheaper, more convenient say. Sick puppies are hard to place, even free...By the way, statistically, what is the occurrence of shunt? Please don't say 36 times the number for all dogs unless you can also tell me what that number is.
I don't think we will ever know what breeders do with liver shunt puppies because it seems that most breeders are afraid to admit they have produced a liver shunt puppy. I know there are many Yorkie owners on this forum that have liver shunt puppies and I think some of them do quite well on a proper diet. I do really wonder how many liver shunt puppies are out there. Many of them probably die before they are diagnosed with liver shunt. I hear of a lot of puppies dying from hypoglycemia, more so than with liver shunt, and I wonder how many of those had liver shunts. So many breeders today just send tiny Yorkie pups to their new homes with a tube of Nutri-cal and just tell the new owners to be careful.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!