View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 07:16 AM   #8
PrincessLila
Senior Yorkie Talker

Hi Bellas' Mom,

Since I'm not a vet, I can't really speak for the Canine Pancreatic Lipase Test. For humans, if docs are thinking of pancreatitis we will only get the blood form. So I'm not sure what the canine test is. What I can say about lipase is that when the pancreas is inflammed, and the cells are dying it will release lipase into your blood. Lipase may stay elevated for a while even if the pancreas is back to normal. So maybe this is why the blood levels were elevated but that test was normal? That's a question for your vet.

The bloody stools were from probably from the inflammed colon. How are her stools now? Are they obviously bloody or black like tar (means she might still be bleeding.) Humans get C. diff colitis but we usually get it when we're on antibiotics that wipe out the normal bacteria in our colons allowing the c. diff to overgrow and make us sick. We see it a lot in the hospitals and it's a s**tty (no pun intended) thing to have. And it's easily transferable to other humans. So be careful! The treatment is another antibiotic called flagyl or metronidazole.

Ok, so anyway Bella's Liver function tests are normal. One is Albumin, which tells us that your dog's liver is making proteins which is one of its many jobs. If the liver is sick it will have a lot of trouble making the very important proteins she needs. And that will cause a bunch of problems on its own.

ALT is an enzyme made by the liver and when the cells die, they release the enzyme into the blood (much like lipase in pancreatitis). This tells us that there is inflammation of the liver or hepatitis.

I hope this helps. Sorry for making it long!

-Lila's mommy
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!