View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
moosie's mom
And Mimi's too!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessLila View Post
Hi Bella's Mom,

I'm not a vet, but I am in the medical profession so I can help make sense of these labs.

WBC (white blood cell)are high meaning that your baby was fighting off an infection (or could be from inflammation, steriods but we know she had c. diff). But the number isn't too high so maybe your baby is improving.

EOS: are eosinophils, a type of WBC which fights allergies and parasites. The number is low but I wouldn't be concerned because it isn't too low and that maybe her normal value.

HCT: hematocrit which is a number that (and I'm simplifying this) basically tells how packed your blood is with cells, proteins etc. Because your baby is probably dehydrated, the number is high. (It's like if you take you take salt water and suddenly remove most of the water and leave the salt it will be very salty.)

RBC: Red blood cells. They carry oxygen in the blood. The number is high for the same reason above. I'd be concerned if they were low because that would suggest your baby is anemic.

Hg: Hemoglobin. They are the proteins on RBC's that carry the oxygen. Same reasons as above.

MCHC: Mean corpscular hemoglobin concentration. Basically tells how much hemoglobin in a certain amount of blood. High for the same reasons as above.

Lipase: It's an enzyme made from the pancreas that helps digest fat. Can be high if your baby had pancreatitis (inflammation of the ancreas).

Otherwise, your baby's liver function tests were normal which is good!

Overall, the tests are pretty normal. they basically mean that your baby had an infection, and because of vomitting/diarrhea became dehydrated.
Very good post! Excellent explanation.
I too am in the "medical field" (people) and know some about human lab work. When I first saw these labs....I was like...yes Bella is doing GREAT!! Well, if she was human that is. I would absolutely say that Bella is on the road to recovery. It would be interesting to see her lab results when she was first diagnosed.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!