Thread: Parvo
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
PrincessDiana
I ♥ Franklin & Maggie
Donating Member

My little one had Parvo, and it was a very scary experience for us. Thankfully, he made it. They say if they make it through the first 4-5 days of the infection, they have a good chance of surviving so don't give up hope! He was hospitalized for 7 days and it cost us a fortune. We had to get a Care Credit card, which let us charge it. We'll be paying it off for a while. Have you looked into that?

There are ways to treat Parvo at home, but it involves force feeding them. I wouldn't suggest it. It's very risky and hard for dogs (especially puppies) to survive Parvo because it affects so many parts of the body. It's important to keep them hospitalized because not only do they need to stay hydrated, but their electrolyte levels need to be monitored, their body temperature needs to be controlled, and their white blood cell count and blood protein levels must constantly be checked. They also need to be given antibiotics to prevent further infections while their immune systems are so weak, as well as anti-nausea medication to help with the vomiting. I know it's expensive but I promise it's worth it.

Also, to prevent the virus from spreading (potentially your other dogs), throw away all old bedding, toys, and bowls. Wipe/mop EVERYWHERE the puppy has been with a 1:3 bleach-water solution. Parvo is an extremely hardy virus that can survive on virtually any surface for over 6 months. Only bleach or approved parvo-killing solution will get rid of it. Keep your other dog away from these areas until he/she has been tested for parvo and had all of his/her vaccinations.

If you have ANY questions, please don't hesitate to PM me. I understand what a horrible, scary experience it can be and I never would've made it without the support of YT members.

ETA -- I forgot to ask, did your breeder offer a health guarantee? If so, contact them immediately. They really should be held liable for this, as your puppy most likely got it from the breeder's home. Also, they need to be alerted (like others said) so they know to watch for symptoms and can alert all other buyers.

Last edited by PrincessDiana; 03-12-2008 at 11:34 AM.
PrincessDiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!