View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #14
bchgirl
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Miss Shelby View Post
I talked with the breeder today and of course she is willing to replace the puppy. She does have a good reputation in the area (I also talked to her vet when I was looking for puppies). I asked her to talk with her husband about a major discount on the pending female rather than replacing him. She is willing to work something out with me. The replacement would be from a different litter, same sire different dame. I had also planned on getting a female from this second litter. I am thinking about this offer: buy the female at full price, replace my male (Scooter) with another male, and basically buy Scooter back for $200. So I would end up keeping Scooter for $200 and receive a male replacement. I hate the thought of returning him because I don't know where he could get a better home than with us. My home environment is pretty quiet and stress-free so he wouldn't be over stimulated, etc. I'm willing to be sure that he gets good vet care and take him to the vet cardiologist for an ultrasound/ECHO, etc. But I would like to end up with 2 healthy dogs from the begining.
BTW, my vet said that Scooter has a 20-50% chance that he will out grow the murmur but that he most likely would not live the long life that our others did. We go back in 2 weeks for another check.
If this is a congenital issue and sounds like it is...I would not accept any puppy from either the sire or dam...unless she provided to me...a detailed cardiologist's report stating the animal was free from this congenital defect. I don't believe...and maybe I'm wrong...that it's a condition where both parents are carriers...but you need (and the breeder must) know which animal has this condition they're passing on. If she's not willing to go to that expense...she needs to retire both her sire and dam.

I had just an ultrasound performed on Reese at a cost of $225. Had he required a full workup...first visit..the price ranged from $500 - $700. Cardiologists do not come cheap...

It's sad and I feel badly for you and baby pup...
bchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!