View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #7
topknot
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
we want to breed our 4lb female but need a small male stud in our area. we too live in north georgia-cartersville. we love these babies and want to have more to love and share.
I would highly think before breeding a 4 pound yorkie. That is pretty small - too small for me. I would never breed one that size. I prefer 5 pounds. Cici was just five pounds and it was really hard on her. And she ended up with a c-section.
Also - I do not lent out my males to others to breed, just something I would rather not do.

Before breeding you also need to do all the tests to make sure the female is breed worthy and healthy. Do you know the standard, the dam's faults, etc.. Would she make a good representation of the breed, what about her parents and grandparents. What is her pedigree like - what traits, faults, and health issues are in her background? There is so much to think about and research and do before breeding. But first and foremost - Four pounds, is in my own opinion just too small. Sorry, I do not mean to rain on your parade, but better to know than breed her and end up loosing her or producing pups with problems. If she was mine, I would spay her and love her for a long time. :-)
** Just breeding her to a smal male does not gurantee small pups. You have to look at both sides of relatives and not just the parents or grand-parents.
T.

Last edited by topknot; 03-09-2008 at 01:37 PM.
topknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!