View Single Post
Old 03-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
nvnvgirl
Lovin' to the MAX!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boolam629 View Post
hey recently Boo had diarrhea, and when i went to the vet, they told me to put him on 'Prescription Diet i/d' so they it would help his stomach. Boo now LOVES this stuff, i never seen him SO excited for food before, and he even cleans out the whole bowl. Does anyone know anything about this product? is it good for him? his stool is better now, and now he wont eat his Innova Evo. i tried to mix it in with the i/d, and he just picks around the Innova Evo . any ideas?

Well, I'm going to go against the grain here. It may be very true that it's not the HIGHEST quality food out there, but Max was prescribed W/D after a bout of pancreatitis and he's had absolutely no issues at all, other than a few weeks ago, when, after reading here, I decided it would be good to switch him to something higher quality. So I did try to do it slowly, and maybe it wasn't the food at all that I was giving him, but he ended up vomiting for 2 straight days ....no other symptoms of anything..he ate, ran around, elmiminated as usual, but he'd vomit anything he ate.

I finally gave him some plain yogurt and made him some rice with a little boiled chicken in it and his tummy settled down. I also fed him the I/D for the next day or so b/c it's BLAND, which is why it helps irritated guts. I havent' really looked at the ingredients, but I am almost certain there's rice in it, so it's probably basically what I had cooked for Max myself. I know vets who have fed their own dogs nothing but the Hill's prescription foods forever and their dogs are healthy and generally live long lives.

Yes, I'd like to feel that I'm giving my dog the finest food that I can, however, I'm not chancing it again. He's staying on the Hill's W/D unless the vet says otherwise and I'm not going to feel like I don't care about his welfare again. It agrees with him and that's good enough for me. My cats have been on Purina cat chow and Friskies all their lives and they're both almost 15 yrs old. I think it just depends on the individual dog. Like they say; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!