View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #40
Sunnie
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Okay, that ALT is very high.
Creatinine is also a bit low.
I would make them do a bile acid test and I would make them do it now.
Protein goes through the liver. It is eliminated by the kidneys. Although some vets say higher protein is okay, this is only the case if the dog isn't having any hepatic encephalopathy symptoms (head pressing, circling, seizures).
Because all of that protein isn't needed, I wouldn't leave my dog on it with any liver issue.

The ALT could be up for so many reasons, but if your vet even thought it could be a shunt or MVD, they should have went to the bile acid test. It is thought that the ALT won't go excessively high (and stay up) until the liver is 70% damaged from a shunt, so while you need to make sure the ALT goes back down, a bile acid test has to be done. I would not be happy with them for wanting to repeat a blood panel without a BAT when they are considering a shunt. That makes no sense.
Thank you Ellie
I just realized that when I posted this, all of the spaces between the readings were removed making it hard to read what I wrote. I will ask them to schedule her for a BAT asap. I am still so shocked because she shows no symptoms at all. Never has been disoriented... Never sickly. and I have no idea what the platelet count which was high means.. That wasn't even mentioned at all. in fact, she acted like the ALT was "just a little elevated" in her words. This is such a small town and as much as I like my vet.... she really is nice and she really seems to love my babies.. she is also young and I just don't think she has much experience here.

I don't want that lack of experience to cause more harm to my baby.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!