View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #13
Bravo916
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy0277 View Post
Sometimes some dogs hair just doesnt grow like you see in the dog show ring. I have a yorkie here whos hair just doesnt grow more then halfway and I have tried everything to get a full coat on her but it just isnt going to happen. YOu have to know whats in your dogs background.
Sometimes the best grooming products, food, etc just isnt going to get the hair to grow floor length. Im not saying this is going to happen to your dog but sometimes the hair just will never get down to the floor,
I don't think your dogs coat not growing to the floor is not solely attributed to genetics. While there are different textures of coat that grow at different rates and take different approaches to grooming, growing a Yorkies coat to the floor is not impossible.

Like someone mentioned before, growing show coat almost always involves oil and wraps--trust me, my dog is in them 24/7. The hair is oiled to make it more elastic, in combination with the wraps it is less prone to matting/breakage. What most dont realize is that so many things break coat--carpet, pet "deodorant" sprays, grass, scratching, urine, concrete...the list goes on and on.

If growing a show coat is something you are really serious about there is a lot of VERY helpful advice on this board. Don't give up! It is very labor intensive at first and takes time to get it down right. Depending on how tall the dog is, it usually takes around 18 months (sometimes longer) to completley grow to the floor.

The ironic thing is that there are so many people who want to grow out their dogs hair to show length and I cant wait for my boy to finish so I can shave it off and finally let him be a dog!
Bravo916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!