View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #7
MIZBROWN
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Question What to look for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFairLacy View Post
Groomers regularly express anal glands, but I really wish they didn't. Most dogs express their anal glands naturally when they poop. I have never had Lacy's anal glands expressed, and she has never had any problems with them (she is 3 1/2 years). Anal glands should only be expressed if they become a problem...if they are full and dog can't express themselves or they become impacted. You'll notice your dog scooting it's butt if this happens. Once you start expressing them regularly, you will have to continue...and I think its dangerous...you can cause the anal sphincter to start losing tone. Plus, groomers usually do it the wrong way...squeezing from the outside. The correct way is the express from the inside. If my dog ever develops a problem with her anal glands, it will be expressed by a vet the correct way.
Ive seen Meka do the scoot thing a few times. And the DH always mentioned the anal glands, but what exactly are you looking to see? How does one know by looking that their pup needs their glands expressed?
MIZBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!