View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 05:55 AM   #1
y0rkiesR0ck
YT Addict

Default working during the day... help me please?

okay, i know there are A LOT of threads about potty training, but i couldn't find one through the search engine that pin-pointed my question, so i'm hoping you all can help ease my mind.

Kash is going on 13 weeks this saturday, and i've had him for about 3 1/2 weeks. both my boyfriend and i work during the day, so i understand that potty training is going to take longer than if i were at home with him. my problem is i'm afraid i'm confusing kash. and i'm confused by the information i've read as well.

so, i keep kash confined to our kitchen with a baby gate and his (open) crate. i'm doing this because people on YT have said keeping such a young puppy confined to a small crate for 5 hours at a time is not good. so, i give him run of the whole kitchen, which is about 8' x 8'. i come home at lunch to let him out, and there's always pee on the floor. i wipe it up with a paper towel, take kash and the soiled paper towel outside to possibly relate outside to peeing. i have a pee pad on the floor for accidents, but he doesn't use it.

i don't know what to do... am i doing the right thing by letting him have the whole kitchen? or should i keep him in his crate? am i confusing him by trying to teach him to go outside as well as on a pee pad inside? if so, how can i prevent accidents if i remove the pee pad completely? is it possible to teach both? i feel like he thinks it's okay to pee/poop inside (especially the kitchen) because i don't punish him when he does (because it's usually way after the fact).

i know he's still young, and it will take more time and patience. i just want to make sure i'm going about training the right way so that he eventually gets the point.

**also, i've been carrying him from the kitchen to the back door. i read that i should lead him to the back door, not carry him. is this right?

thanks in advance!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!