View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
kyancer
Senior Yorkie Talker

Cry Swallowed a Penny...

This morning my 8 month old Yorkie was not acting like himself. He was so lethargic. When I picked him up he just felt like a little wet noodle in my arms. I tried to give him breakfast and he didn't eat at all. So, I immediately took him in to the Animal ER.

Long story short, on x-rays it appeared that he swallowed a coin. I guess depending on how long the coin has been in there, this can be very bad. Coins can contain things that are poisonous and can cause life-threatening anemias.

So, the first step was to get the penny OUT! They used an endoscope and were successful. I was so thankful he didn't have to go to surgery! Then they did bloodwork to check to see if he was developing any toxicities in the blood from the metal. The bloodwork came back showing some zinc toxicities so they are keeping him overnight for observation and have him on IV fluids.

I just got a call at 10pm. I guess they drew more blood and it showed that his red blood cells dropped from 37,000 to 27,000 since this afternoon. They said this is a pretty significant drop. Then he also had a case of diarrhea that was pretty much pure blood. At this point they are continuing IV fluids and watching him and going to draw some more blood later to check the red blood cells. If they keep dropping he may need a blood transfusion.

I just feel sick about the whole thing. I am so scared! I don't even know how this happened. He is with me ALL the time and I never saw him get a penny. I never knew that a penny could be so dangerous! This is just awful
kyancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!