View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
kyancer
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Potty Training Tips needed for 8 month old!

Hi!
I'm fairly new here. I have an 8 month old male who is not neutered (plan to neuter next month). This is my first puppy ever and unfortunately I know I've made lots of mistakes in the potty training department. I really need some help and encouragement. We live in a 3 level townhouse that is almost completely carpeted. I take him outside really often, but maybe not often enough. Every time we go out he has his two spots (one for pee and one for poop), and he immediately goes to those spots and does his business. But, on an almost daily basis he still has accidents in the house. He doesn't ask to go out. So, if I don't catch him in time he pees or poops on the carpet. How often should I be taking an 8 month old Yorkie out to prevent indoor accidents?

Also, I recently had another baby. While I was in the hospital my mom (who was staying with us) and husband watched my puppy for me. They obviously didn't watch him the way I do because I found our basement had A LOT of pee spots all over the carpet. I spent hours and hours cleaning, but now I'm worrried that he will always go back there to pee because I've heard that even if it seems like all the urine smell is out, most of the time the dog can still smell it. Do you think a professional carpet cleaning would help with this? Are there companies that specialize in pet odor in carpets? Like I said, I can't see or smell it, but I'm worried that he can.

Any advice would be appreciated? I'm just wondering how long it takes the average Yorkie to potty train?
kyancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!