View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
MyFairLacy
Donating YT 10K Club Member

I would NEVER feed Science Diet to my pets. It's full of corn, fillers, and byproducts. It doesn't at all rank in the "premium" foods to me.

Most vets sell Science Diet because they get a lot of free products. Hill's also gets to most vets while they are in vet school. I'm in vet school right now and I've learned that Hill's donates so much money to the AVMA - millions of dollars. Hill's Nutritionists teach most of the small animal nutrition classes in vet schools around the country - and these nutrition classes are extremely short compaired to other classes vet students take. Vets honestly learn very little about nutrition in vet school, and what they do learn comes from the biased teaching of a pet food company. As a vet student, I am given free Hill's products as well as 80% off any Hill's pet foods (same for Purina). Vet students use these foods because they are cheap or free (most vet students live off student loans and don't have a lot of extra money for pet food) - so by the time they get out of vet school they've been using these products. Vet students are easily set up to promote Hill's once they get out of vet school, especially because they don't know anything about nutrition besides what the Hill's nutritionist told them.

So if you ever wonder why most vets sell science diet, there it is. It's not because it's a good product - it's because vets don't know any better and get a lot of free things for selling it.

Anyway, I do NOT feed it to my pets and never will.
MyFairLacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!