View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
luvmiyorkies
Yorkie Talker

Default BEWARE: Vicki's Apology -You are responsible for what you write

The written word comes with great responsibility. If you feel the need to report, review or otherwise critique a breeder, groomer, vet, or just about anyone, this should be done with respect and with lots of discovery of FACTS before you proceed. Anytime you find a “watchdog” that feels the need to denounce any person, place, or thing based on a single variable, something can go very wrong. Otherwise good people can get caught up in the emotion of the event with hurtful if not violent results.

The written word, whether newspaper, internet, or a flyer on the bulletin board will enhance or degrade whosoever it is written about. Not only are their moral and ethical ramifications, but also very legal ones. You get into slander, liable, the list only gets much worse from here. It is very important to regard your words carefully, not be manipulated into joining the crowd throwing insults, accusations, and rude comments without knowing all the facts, yourself…not secondhand….not where the emotional tide is flowing….what YOU know.

Now to the point: This emotional tide has been running high over the past few weeks. Many have been the accused, until the next came alone. As I have been in that tide for the past few weeks, I will use myself and the consequences as an example. You may refer to : Review of breeders, groomers, or vets. For the Beware of Wayne and Janis Hendrick thread by Vicki Barber. There is also the What does a breeder do when she is slammed thread by myself. Hang on, it gets pretty ugly.

After all the very public accusations, denouncements of my husband and myself, personally, professionally, the worthiness of my breeding practices, and our reputation as breeders in general, I receive this PRIVATE email from Vicki:

I asked the administration of this website to delete all threads that pertained to you and this is the message I got back!

We do not delete threads unless they break YorkieTalk rules. Thank you.

-Admin

I never intended for things to turn out the way they did. It is done and we must move forward.

I just do not wanna see Bleus parents bred is all...

I am good with everything else and I hope I have made myself clear on that.

You and Wayne are good people and I have said that.

If i can do anything in regards to this site other than what I have already tried to do please let me know.

Again
I apologize
Vicki

I appreciate
that Vicki is sorry, but the damage to myself and my family has been done. The comment of “it is done and we must move forward” is further insult as it implies all this was of no consequence, BUT there have been great consequences and consequences that are yet to come.

I would like to first say I am truly sorry about Bleu’s illness. I would have gladly taken on the problem without hesitation, but rallied behind Vicki that she choose to see him through it all. Vicki had 3 choices with Bleu (according to the doctor at Texas A&M)
1. Do nothing and MAYBE she would have come home one day and he would be dead.
2. Proceed with the non-invasive casting (which is getting very good reviews) and see if the bone will bond causing a lasting fix such as you would do with a break of the bone.
3. Proceed with the elective surgery to pin and bone cement the bone in place (and cast) BUT the pup could die on the table. I am not sure I would not have opted the non-invasive procedure first, but this was Vicki’s monumental decision. The fact that this pup was in all other ways a good, strong healthy pup helped him be the success he is today. I think all the prayers from all of us played a part in that miracle.

Unfortunately, breeders have to make tough decisions all the time. It is not easier, just part of the responsibility. Also part of a breeders responsibility is to make sure the sires and dams bred are of the healthiest possible, with no recessive genes. I wish that were an easier job.

Even the most prestigious kennels have to deal with recessive genes and the occasional congenital issue. Before you breed, you do the blood work ,x-rays, urinalysis, anything you can think of to see what might be a potential problem, but the bottom line is you never know for sure until you breed a particular sire with a particular dam. If you get good, healthy puppies, good coats, compact body and sweet personalities you did good. If you get a recessive issue, you move that dam to another sire and the issue may not be there. If it is a very serious issue, you remove either that sire or dam or both from your breeding group, as I have done in this case.

Let me give an example: A man and a woman from very healthy families marry and have a child. This child becomes ill and it is discovered the child has Sickle Cell Anemia and lives a short life filled with pain and anguish. The parents are heartbroken and are THEN tested to find that they both carry the recessive Sickle Cell Anemia gene. The fact that they both carry the gene made their chances of having a child with full blown Sickle Cell Anemia 1 out of 4,and passing that recessive gene to a child or children 2 out of 4, even though there was no known Sickle Cell in either families as far back as anyone can remember.

If that same man and woman married other people who did not carry the Sickle Cell recessive gene, then the likelihood of having a Sickle Cell Anemia child is almost nil, and 1 out of 100 that the gene would be passed on. Tests for this horrible genetic disorder exists, but the hospital is full of children suffering from this disease.

We have much to learn, and in the animal world it is even more remote. There are facts being discovered all the time, but not nearly fast enough to make any kind of claim that I or any other breeder (no matter how prestigious) will never have a congenital disorder again. Usually God takes these pups early, but sometimes, as in Bleu’s case, nothing showed up until he was 10 months old. It was not bad breeding practices, or negligence, or any of the ugly allegations that have been posted, but merely an unknown.

You and I have the right to have opinions, ideologies, and beliefs that differ, but we are also guaranteed the right of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That liberty, however, stops when it begins to trample on the liberty of others. It is protected by constitution and law.

The worse of it all, there was a poor lady that lost her baby…came looking for help, but everyone was so busy slinging mud, they forgot to watch out for each other. Now she is broken hearted and all you have for her is” RIP…hug…hug“ . Yorkie people I know are like family, sometimes we get upset with each other, but we are always there when you need us.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!