View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Ladylavender
YT 500 Club Member

I know this doesn't help, but really for some yorkies, they can be potty trained, as long as you take them out timely, because for some yorkies, the actual act of "asking" to go out could take up to a year or more.

I know that as diligent as I was with training Millie (it consumed my every moment of every second for about 3-4months) she did not really "ask" to go out until over a year old. She did not have potty mistakes in the house, because she was potty trained by 6-6 1/2 months, but I had to be the one to initiate the taking her out and watching for her "pre-pee" signs. We finally got a doggie door, so she could go out on her own and we left the front door open so she could go out the doggie door that was put into the storm door.

I know she can "ask" to go out now, because the other day the front door was closed (due to very cold weather) and she went to it and started scratching at. She is almost 3 years old.

Unfortunately, your father's methods will not get her trained. Yorkies are not wired that way. Harsh methods, tend to backfire and make it that more difficult to train the yorkie once they have been traumatized.

Are your parents stressed out because the shoulder of the responsibility of training them is upon them, since you go to school and work? Are you not around when your little one is having these mistakes? If you are around a lot and your little one is still having mistakes in the house, maybe you need to re-think your training method, because part of the potty training process is to eliminate any chance of having a mistake in the house and this requires due diligence on your part.

Just my thoughts and things to think about.

Last edited by Ladylavender; 02-29-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Ladylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!