Thread: I am appalled.
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #46
Matthew
Senior Yorkie Talker

I just feel that a rescue, whether it is one person or 100 doing the work, should invest the same care and concern into their interactions with the public as they provide to their canine charges.
Yes, I can imagine it is a pain to get tons of emails and phone calls everyday, and I am sure that some folks who call to adopt or place an animal might lack knowledge, not be a good fit for a certain dog, etc... and I am sure that some members of the public expect "miracles", or an instant happy ending.
However, that comes with the territory. The word "rescue" implies an immediate need for help. I think that was what was so off-putting to me: an abandoned dog needed help. No, he was not dying. Yes, he was getting food, water, and attention (as best the neighborhood could). But none of us could give him a "forever" home, or even house him temporarily. So naturally, I searched for a place to "rescue" him- even if this meant waiting, and driving him to Birmingham, Huntsville, or Atlanta. While none of the rescues could help him, two of them instructed me not to "take him to the pound- they will kill him within a week." Not a good situation to put someone in-talk about guilt with a capital "G". I had enough sense to seek out my own resources, but I think that took a lot of gall to say, as it was definitely an "instruction", not a "please don't do that". I would have felt better if they had mentioned some options (one did, which was great). But to say: "We can't help you" and tell me that, in essence, that if I did the "last resort" option, I would be sending the dog off to an early grave, left a bitter taste in my mouth.
I have no idea about other rescues outside of the ones I contacted.
As I stated before: A RESCUE IMPLIES HELP IS NEEDED. If that help cannot be delivered due to too many animals, not enough volunteers, lack of money, etc... THAT IS OK. Just note this on the website or the phone. Most persons these days will either use the Internet or word of mouth to find out about what to do in a case like mine. Either way, if the refusal is done upfront (either for accepting or adoption) in a PROFESSIONAL MANNER (e.g. "I'm sorry, but we are full right now...have you tried ______ or ________?" or "I'm sorry, but this dog has this history, and a house with children would not be in their or your best interest due to ___________"), then it is all good.
Being tired, being inundated with calls or emails, or running low on patience with the public is not an acceptable excuse for being unprofessional.
I used to supervise a hotel front desk, so I have some experience with customer service. While rescues may or may not charge for adoptions or taking in an animal, it is still a "customer service" issue--and one needs good to excellent people skills.
Finally, I had a friend in New Orleans who did an informal rescue in her home. She had about 11 cats and a dog (the dog was her and her husband's). She would "snap" sometimes from all the stress, be tired after working all evening or day, or just get "fed up" temporarily. She would call me, and I would go next door, walk the dog or bring TJ to play with him, clean some litter pans, and play with the kitties. This seemed to help her state of mind immensely.
She needed to be "rescued"-- and I tried to be there as soon as I could.
I would be honored and pleased to help a local rescue group. But the ones here seem to want money. I can understand that. I cannot give right now, except by way of time.
Maybe I need to re-contact a rescue and see if they "really" don't need help- or are just struggling in how to ask.
Now that would be a novel idea!
Sorry for the ramble.
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!