View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
JennyLeroux
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Have you starting feeding the puppies yet? I always introduce my puppies to food at 4 to 4 1/2 weeks of age. At 4 weeks the momma dog will not be feeding them very often. Are the puppies crying and acting hungry? The easiest way I have found to wean puppies is to get a good quality dry puppy food (I recommend Chicken Soup Puppy or Solid Gold Wee Bits) and put the dry food in a blender and grind it until it is a very fine like corn meal. I like to use the small double sided bowls they sell at Wal-mart and I put the dry food in both sides and just leave it down for the puppies. In no time they will be licking it up. Be sure to leave water down also. The mom will continue to nurse the pups when she feels necessary and your pups will be on their way to being weaned. I have used this method for years and it works great.
I have not introduced food to the puppies yet because I wasn't for sure. BJH I will try your method, thank you so much for the suggestion!!! Yes, the puppies are crying and acting hungry. Do you use Nutri Cal at this point as well? This is my first litter and so far everything has gone great. I am learning as I go.
JennyLeroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!