View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
KathyK09
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Thanks!

I appreciate the advice.

When we first brought the puppy home we kept her in my bedrm & bathrm to help them all get adjusted slowly as well as to try to potty train Mariah and have her in a puppy-safe area. The cats had the option of jumping over the gate to check out the puppy when they wanted to and to get used to her (and her to them).

I should have clarified that even though for a while Angel wouldn't willingly come into the area where the puppy was...we would pick her up and put her on my bed. One of us would stay on the bed with her to give her attention.

Mariah was so young/small when we got her so we slowly expanded her world as she got older/bigger. Now at 14 wks old she has explored the entire house (while being supervised).

I always give Angel attention, treats, etc. first. Angel doesn't seem as jealous or mad anymore. She just doesn't want Mariah jumping all over her.

Last night Mariah (I knew it was coming) was able to get on the chairs that Angel was using as her "safe haven" away from the puppy. Mariah just chased Angel around and Angel just kept running away. She would run to us and try to get behind us as if to say "HELP"! Angel also asked to go outside often. A couple of times she would stop and bark/growl at Mariah but it would only slow the puppy down for a few seconds. At one point Angel was on my lap on the chair when Mariah climbed up and jumped on her. Angel did growl and sort of nip towards Mariah. It barely slowed her down! We tried to distract Mariah by playing with her, etc. while another was paying attention to Angel...but it was a long night! I feel so bad for Angel...she just wants the puppy to stop jumping on her...but I guess you're right - she has to let Mariah know that herself. Angel is such a sweet, gentle dog but I guess she's going to have to let Mariah know that she can't keep jumping on her. I hope some day they become friends.
KathyK09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!