View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #6
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
GREAT ANSWERS everyone! I do have another question regarding the statement in red above. I understand why you would want any pet quality yorkies to be spayed or nuetered. No one would want to entrust a show quality yorkie to someone that could possibly use it to breed to a pet quality yorkie. The question I have is why a MALE? Is there a reason why you would want to start showing with a male yorkie rather than a female?

Thanks again you guys for some great answers.
Males are generally easier to grow coat on and they hold their color better. In general, unless you have an exceptional Yorkie, it takes up to two years or longer to grow a good show coat. Most show males are 18 months to 2 1/2 years old before they are in good enough coat to win their majors. You need two major wins to become a champion. Females usually come in heat around 10 months and often females get lighter in color after each heat cycle so you might get a female with nice steel blue at 1 year of age but by the time she is in full coat and ready to compete she might be too light. But probably the main reason for starting with a male is that most show breeders would not ever sell a quality bitch to someone they do not know and trust.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!