View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
Sunnie
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
At dog shows the judge is judging the dog and not the dog's pedigree so it would not matter if your dog is champion sired or not. A dog can have no champions in their background and still be shown and could still win if they were a good representive of the breed. A lady I know that shows Bulldogs said she knew of a Bulldog once that had no champions in his pedigree and he became a champion but none of his offspring were ever show quality.
Yorkies are one of the most difficult breeds to show. It takes lots of hard work and patience to grow a show coat. You have to start with dog that has a true silky coat, proper conformation and movement. Reputable show breeders sell their show quality dogs under a very strict contract where the breeders stay on as co-owners until the dog becomes a champion. You also have to agree that if you are unable to finish the dog after a certain amount of time then you have to agree to put the dog with a professional handler.

Finding a breeder to sell you a show quality dog might take a little time but it can be done. Most show breeders do not want to sell to a person that already has a house full of pet quality Yorkies...that is a red flag for them. If a person is truly interested in showing you would need to spay and neuter your pets and try to start by getting a male Yorkie to show. A good show quality Yorkie should be at least 6 months old and would cost at least $2500. Some of your smaller show breeders that are not as reputable might sell you a 12 week old show prospect male for $1500 to $2000 without a show contract but they would not guarantee them to turn out showable and that would be a risky deal. You just need to do your homework and go to some shows to see if that is what you really want to do. Actually if you have enough money you don't have to show the dog yourself. Many folks just buy expensive dogs and hire a handler to finish the dog for them.
GREAT ANSWERS everyone! I do have another question regarding the statement in red above. I understand why you would want any pet quality yorkies to be spayed or nuetered. No one would want to entrust a show quality yorkie to someone that could possibly use it to breed to a pet quality yorkie. The question I have is why a MALE? Is there a reason why you would want to start showing with a male yorkie rather than a female?

Thanks again you guys for some great answers.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!