View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
Brooklynn
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
After reading another post about pedigrees and champions in their background, I have a theoretical question.

Say you have a dog that has champions in it's 4th and/or 5th generation...... Is it possible for a dog that hasn't had recent champions to still be of quality to show? I guess I am thinking that IF the dogs that were born to a champion pair were sold and not ever shown, they still could produce show quality dogs?

When you go into the show ring with a dog that was NOT born to a champion, how does that affect the dog being judged? Can a dog stand on it's own without being champion sired?

I mean I have seen some beautiful dogs that are not champions... if they were to be shown to try to obtain a championship is the fact that they are not champion sired going to adversely hurt them?

I know to most people a dog may "look" good and that doesn't neccesarilly mean they are good. I know that topline, structure, coat quality, the way the dog carries itself, etc all are factors, but does lack of championships in the 2 or 3rd generation eliminate that dog altogether?

The reason I am asking is because it occured to me that most people who show thier dogs do not sell a dog that is show quality or they would show it themselves (I think). So if someone wanted to try showing how would they obtain a show hopeful?
Great question! I would have to say a show dog doesn't have to be championed sired to become a champion but it's desired. If a dog has more than 3 faults I wouldn't put them in the ring but it may not hurt to use as a stud or bitch if the dog or bitch had no health issues but had great structure and movement and put together. Just because a dog has a bad bite that can be bred out and then you bring back in a dog with a good bite (using this as an example)
If you want to show I would attend shows, watch the yorkies and find the type you like, study pedigrees, find a mentor, join a yorkie club in your area.
Most show breeders breed for themselves and yes they will place a dog into a show home but they have to know you and know your intentions. Say they have a nice male and that show breeder doesn't need a male and they have a suitable show home then they will place him in a show home with strict contracts. I personally don't sell show dogs because I haven't been showing but about 4 1/2 years and I'm still not confident in placing a show dog. I also do not have that many show dogs and when I do breed I want my next one for the ring and you won't have every pup in that particular litter be show quality. But again, go to shows get acquainted with yorkie show breeders.
I know I didn't answer all the questions my brain is fried tonight LOL...but at least I hope I helped some.
Donna Bird
Brooklynn's Yorkshire Terriers
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!