View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Sunnie
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Default question about showing and show quality

After reading another post about pedigrees and champions in their background, I have a theoretical question.

Say you have a dog that has champions in it's 4th and/or 5th generation...... Is it possible for a dog that hasn't had recent champions to still be of quality to show? I guess I am thinking that IF the dogs that were born to a champion pair were sold and not ever shown, they still could produce show quality dogs?

When you go into the show ring with a dog that was NOT born to a champion, how does that affect the dog being judged? Can a dog stand on it's own without being champion sired?

I mean I have seen some beautiful dogs that are not champions... if they were to be shown to try to obtain a championship is the fact that they are not champion sired going to adversely hurt them?

I know to most people a dog may "look" good and that doesn't neccesarilly mean they are good. I know that topline, structure, coat quality, the way the dog carries itself, etc all are factors, but does lack of championships in the 2 or 3rd generation eliminate that dog altogether?

The reason I am asking is because it occured to me that most people who show thier dogs do not sell a dog that is show quality or they would show it themselves (I think). So if someone wanted to try showing how would they obtain a show hopeful?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!