Thread: Training Issues
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2004, 11:46 PM   #3
admin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondy_5_0
My Yorkie puppy is about 15 weeks old now. I have had him with me for only 3 short weeks. I want to house train him on "potty pads" as it is much too cold for him outside, and also because he will be left inside the house for hours at a time when I am at work. He contracted(?) Hypoglycemia when I got him and also has "tracheal collapse", which causes him to cough quite violently. Because of these intial health problems, I have done very little to get him house trained. We do set him on the pads when he wakes up, etc (quite frequently). I also purchased some very stinky liquid from Petsmart that is supposed to "make" him want to urinate on the pads; it doesnt seem to help at all....just stink!! What are some simple ideas/tips to follow to begin this process? Do you think it is too late to train him as he has been in the house for 3 weeks??
No, it's never too late to train! I'd suggest to use a big litter box type plastic bin and then lay some pads that soak up pee on it. It may be hard, but you might want to crate him or leave your puppy in an enclosed area. Then, only let him out to eat or drink water, or to pee or poop (at least when you are home with him).

What helped initially for me, was to drip a bit of his pee on the pads and put it in the litter box type. When he smelled the pee, he eventually learned to pee on the pad. Also if the box starts to smell a lot, maybe put it in the bathroom. Good luck!
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!