Thread: 2nd heat
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #8
BamaFan121s
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby girl1 View Post
Your Math Is Correct, She's About 14 1/2 Months Old. My Husband Is Home During The Day And We Don't Let Them Out Unsupervised For Several Reasons. I Read That It Is Just As Dangerous For The Male As It Is For The Female. I Also Read That The Female Should Be Slightly Larger Than The Male, (which She Is). My Husband Say She Has A J-lo Butt. How Will I Know If She Is Ready To Be A Mom? I Look At Her Playing And She's Still A Baby Her Self. I Love My Babies To Death. I Know It's A Huge Responsiblity. I Have Taken Her And Owie To The Vet And Had Them Checked Out, And They Are Perfect. She's Been On Puppy Food As Recommended By The Vet, It Has More Nutritional Value For Her And Will Help Her If She Get Pregnant.
Like I said, you should have a well seasoned breeder by your side to help you learn and get experienced BEFORE you try breeding yourself. You can read everything that has ever been written on breeding, but it is NO substitute for hands on experience and guidance from someone who's been at it for a while.
As far as them being "perfect" of course they are perfect. We all think our babies are perfect...and to us they are. However, that doesn't make them good representations that should be bred. Just because they can doesn't mean they should. This again is where a mentor comes in handy...to help show you these physical characteristics 'in the fur' so to speak.
How do they hold up to the breed standard? How about the parents? The other dogs in the pedigree? What do you know about the lines they came from? At the very least, you should get the opinion of a REPUTABLE breeder(s) and/or evaluated by a judge.
And as far as health screening...what specifically have you had them tested for? The vet proclaiming them as "healthy" isn't always good enough. When taking on something this serious, you have to dive much deeper than that. What is their history of breed specific genetic illness? What about the dogs further down the line?
The list could go on and on.... And I don't say all of this to discourage you from entering into the venture, just to encourge you to take the right steps and realize how much is involved. Anything less than tackling every possible aspect first only puts your dogs at risk. And we all know how hard it is sometimes to put aside your 'wants' to focus on the 'shoulds.'
BamaFan121s is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!