View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #11
PrincessDiana
I ♥ Franklin & Maggie
Donating Member

Everything that everyone has posted is great!

Franklin got the Lepto vaccine and he did okay with it. Since then, I've done more research and decided that next time, we'll go without it because most of the time, reactions don't occur until the 2nd or 3rd time around. The vaccine only covers a couple of the MANY strands of Lepto, so it's virtually ineffective. Like others have said, it's been known to cause lots of reactions, including death in Yorkies so I personally feel like the risks outweigh the benefits. However, if Lepto is a problem in your area, most vets will strongly urge you do it. There are some YTers who were in this situation (chachi, I think) and her babies did well on it.

He also had Bordetella intra-nasally and did okay with that.

Another thing to look out for is AFTER the vaccinations. It's normal for a puppy to be tired and want to sleep, but if they throw up or seem unusually tired, they are probably having an adverse reaction. Other signs of reactions can be swollen face and eyes and itchiness. If you notice any of these things, call your vet. Most reactions can be treated with Children's Benadryl (your vet should tell you how much to give) or an injection. It's important to catch early on, though. Just keep an eye on her and give her lots of love.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!