View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorPeteZa View Post
wow! thats a lot to take in! im going to have to go to the vet with notes! I'm going to question her on everything. I sure hope i dont seem like a pain in the butt. but I know you all know so much more than I do about yorkies and I dont want to leave something so important as vaccines to chance. do u think most vets know about the vacs. that can kill yorkies? im getting a bit worried now i wish one of u could come along w. me! hehe
LOL...I question Ellie's vet on everything too and I know she is good. I have to make sure everything is just right. She is always ready to answer questions for me.

You know, so many vets are pushy with the lepto vaccine. They don't think it is a big risk and give it out like candy. Mardelin, a breeder on YorkieTalk, has said that lepto can cause death.

Ellie had DHLPP-C and rabies all in one day (way too many) and she collapsed and went into shock. It was most likely the lepto. I don't know how big of a problem this disease is where you live but proceed cautiously. A dog is more likely to react to the lepto vaccine after the second or third time it is given rather than the first time. I would never consider giving to a dog under 16 weeks. It also only lasts for 6-9 months, so your dog would have to be vaccinated twice a year to have full protection and it doesn't protect against all strains. Then again it is a serious disease and can be passed to people (probably could be with the vaccine too though), so it is a hard call. After Ellie's experience, it is a big no for me.

It is very overwhelming.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!