Thread: Spay or NOT?
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledgirls View Post
I have a small dog that is two pounds and is around 9 months old. I still need to get her spayed and am worried that the stuff that the vets use will put her out forever since she is so small. Our only boy dog is a Spaniel is outdoors and is fixed. So should we spay her or around her time just put a diaper on her? We have put her in a diaper before and she seems to do fine in them.
I would strongly consider it if the dog is 2 pounds or more.
If you spay before the first heat their chances of getting mammary cancer are next to none. If you spay before the second their chances are increased but it is still a good idea. If you spay before the third their chances of getting are are increased even more. After that, it doesn't matter when you do it. The risk is the same. When females are older they can get a uterine infection (pyometra). Usually the treatment is an emergency spay that will cost you lots more than a routine one. This can happen in young dogs but usually happens in older ones.

Here are the questions that I would ask with such a small girl:
What anesthesia do you use to maintain (it should be isoflurane or sevoflurane)?
What anesthesia do you use before intubation (there are lots of right answers here but one of the only barbiturates I would want them to use is propofol)?
Do you do surgery on a heated surface (they need to...toy breeds lose body heat very quickly)?
Do you give pain meds (they need to for a spay...surgery hurts)?
How do you monitor during anesthesia?
Do I have to leave her overnight and if I do is there someone there to watch that is awake the whole time?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!