View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
Judy in Waco
Gizzy & Kandi spoil me
Donating Member

Smile [News] Dog Hailed as a Hero for Life Saving Move

Dog Hailed as a Hero for Life Saving Move

PADUCAH, KY -- Family pets can be our best friends, and they can also save your life.

A Yorkshire Terrier is being hailed a hero after what he did in the face of a devastating fire in Mayfield, Kentucky.

Weighing in at a whopping four pounds, Milo isn't the type of dog Shannon Keller's used to working with.

He handles the drug dogs at the Mayfield Police Department.

"I always thought, if I had a dog as a hero, it'd be my 60-pound Malinois taking down some guy off me as I'm fighting him on the street through the police department. I never dreamed it'd be a 4lb. Yorkshire Terrier, saving my entire family," said Keller, detective corporal at the drug unit in Mayfield.

What Milo the Yorkshire Terrier lacks in size, he makes up for in courage.

His wife woke up when Milo was frantically barking at about 3 a.m. Friday, when the dog smelled smoke.

Mayfield police don't have a cause of the fire, but they believe it was started by electrical problems.

"Well, he's a little hero to us. If it wasn't for him, who knows?" said Keller.

Mayfield police say the flames started in the garage and quickly spread to all corners of the home.

Smoke was still rising long after the fire was extinguished. Keller's neighbors, who helped the Kellers retrieve personal items like pictures before the home burned down, say they're glad Milo woke them up.

"My heart goes out to them. I mean, till it happens to you. You don't ever think that's going to happen to us. But I'd do anything I can for them," said Judy McClure, Keller's neighbor.

Keller's neighbors and friends at the Graves County Sheriff's Office, Kentucky State Police, and Mayfield Police Department are reaching out to the family.

But now, his family believes guardian angels do come in smaller packages.

Created: 2/12/2008 9:32:58 PM
Updated: 2/12/2008 9:47:59 PM
Edited by Gary Detman, Nightside EP

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/s...storyid=102228
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!