View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
Archie's Mom
YT 500 Club Member

Omg Chubby Boy ... HELP!

My little guy has gained weight over the last few months (the last time we were at the vet he was five pounds, but the vet wants me to get him below that because he is a small Yorkie. The weight that he was bets at is 4.2 pounds). Today he just seems to be such a little pudge. He has a fat tummy now and his little butt feels a bit too well padded. I can just barely feel his ribs. I'm kind of at a loss on how much to reduce his food intake to to make him lose weight. He gets 1/8th cup (2 Tbs) of Natural Balance Duck & Potato in the morning and again in the evening and I usually cut up a little apple or carrot shavings on top of his morning dish. He LOVES fruit for treats, but I also will give him Bill-Jack liver treats (no more than 2 at a time). I try not to overdo it with the treats and even have stopped stuffing his Kong because he usually blackmailed two Kongs per day out of me filled with fruit and Mother Hubbard treats (I used it as a "pacifier" when I was trying to work).

As for exercise, he doesn't get a lot -- but when the weather was better I walked him maybe twice a week -- sometimes more. Since we are having such a rough winter in Chicago, I do not take him out unless it's more that 35 degrees out.

Can anyone give me any Yorkie diet tips? I want my baby to maintain a healthy weight so I can have him around for many, many years to come.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!