View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
For My Coby
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN1 View Post
We are now starting to get the lay down. Diesel started today with it! I am sure it will take a while but we were excited that he got it for the first time by himself! He will not stay there(or sitting) very long. How do we get him to "stay"? Also he is not doing the "come" command at all. It is like he is not interested in that.
Thank you for letting us pick your brains!
Yeah Diesel!!

Getting them to stay takes more repetitions and patience. I'm sure everyone has some great ideas - I love hearing how everyone conquers things just a little bit differently!

I first start by covering the treat with my hand and "sort of" laying it on the floor in front of Coby and stay "Stay". I also use a one-finger gesture with my other hand. This not only makes him concentrate on all of me, not just the treat, but also teaches him a hand command at the same time. Hand commands are good, because there might be times where you don't want to speak - or it's too loud for the them to hear, etc.

Every time Coby moves toward the treat, I take it away. It takes a lot of repetitions. But when he waits (for JUST a split second in the beginning), he gets a treat, and I say "Okay". As you practice, you lengthen the time and start actually laying the treat on the floor without him picking it up. They learn so fast. Very soon, you will be able to stand up and walk around the room before giving your release word.

The really fun part for me is when I put both boys side by side, lay a treat in front of each of them, put them in a stay, and walk around the room. They are trying to keep an eye on their treat, their brother's treat, and make sure that their brother doesn't get their treat first.

Keep working!
For My Coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!