View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
MN1
YorkieTalk Newbie!

We are now starting to get the lay down. Diesel started today with it! I am sure it will take a while but we were excited that he got it for the first time by himself! He will not stay there(or sitting) very long. How do we get him to "stay"? Also he is not doing the "come" command at all. It is like he is not interested in that.
Thank you for letting us pick your brains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by For My Coby View Post
Welcome to YT and congrats on Diesel!

Good work on the "Sit"!! "Down/Lay" is the next easy step. In the sit, simply move the treat down and slightly forward (sort of an "L" position). By allowing Diesel to follow the treat with his nose, his body will automatically end up in the down position.

The "Come" command is easy with treats too. Just call and reward. But a good suggestion is to make sure that you don't treat until you've touched his collar. This will keep him from learning the Come and Run game before you can actually pick him up!!

Instead of spanking, I would redirect with a toy while saying "No Bite". In addition to just not using anything that could easily get out of hand, you don't want to use what Diesel is biting as the correction tool. That is confusing and will encourage biting.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll get lots more suggestions!!
MN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!