View Single Post
Old 07-29-2004, 06:59 AM   #2
Higgin's Mom
YT 500 Club Member

That's good to know! We have skunks around and I fear Higgins getting sprayed. We usually don't let him out at night.....we also have big owls and I don't want one to swoop down and grab him up....

Back to skunks: My groomer told me that in "grooming school" they taught them to use a feminine douche powder mixture. Haven't had to try it yet, so no testamonial here.

About 20 years ago, I had a beloved dog named Raggedy Ann, part poodle, part terrier. She spent most of her time hanging out with the two raccoons and one female skunk who lived under the house next door to us. They were REALLY friends. And it was lots of fun to watch them all together. But then, the little lady skunk found a hunky skunk and had two babies. And she did NOT want any of her friends playing with her kids and used to let 'em all have it on a regular basis. I spent most of my food budget on tomato juice that summer. Fortunately, we lived right on Long Island Sound so I used to take her down to the beach and bathe Raggedy there. Since Lady Skunk had several arguments with the raccoons and Raggedy under their house, the neighbors had to move out for a month while the crawl space was descented. Animal Control removed the skunk to a local forest.......

I used to have a pet descented skunk named "Arpege." Skunks do NOT make good pets. They keep you up all night, grow attached to only one person, and are pretty firm and painful biters. I do not recommend them. Arpege, escaped through our dryer hose vent which she uncovered somehow. Have no idea how she made out in the wild, felt badly for her, but I didn't miss her much.

We also made friends with a wild skunk we named Mortimer. He used to hang out right by our door, sitting patiently on our porch. We couldn't go in or out without him raising that tail and threatening to spray. So we gradually "talked" to him and let him know that he was welcome and that we wouldn't hurt him. He hung around all summer. Even wanted to come IN the house, but we never allowed THAT! He never sprayed our dog (Chihuahua) or cat (Maine Coon), but they never threatened him either......

Last edited by Higgin's Mom; 07-29-2004 at 07:04 AM.
Higgin's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!