View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
For My Coby
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN1 View Post
My husband and I got a great little dog a few months ago and we are wondering if you all can help with training ideas. Diesel is 6 months old now. We just got him to start sitting when we ask him to. What we would like is to teach him to come, stay, lay down etc. Also to stop biting us. If he does bite we tell him no and give him a small spanking. So the biggest question is to help us with the training. Come, stay and lay(and others if you can help out!!!!)
Thank you for your time!
Welcome to YT and congrats on Diesel!

Good work on the "Sit"!! "Down/Lay" is the next easy step. In the sit, simply move the treat down and slightly forward (sort of an "L" position). By allowing Diesel to follow the treat with his nose, his body will automatically end up in the down position.

The "Come" command is easy with treats too. Just call and reward. But a good suggestion is to make sure that you don't treat until you've touched his collar. This will keep him from learning the Come and Run game before you can actually pick him up!!

Instead of spanking, I would redirect with a toy while saying "No Bite". In addition to just not using anything that could easily get out of hand, you don't want to use what Diesel is biting as the correction tool. That is confusing and will encourage biting.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll get lots more suggestions!!
For My Coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!