View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
Rae Rae
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Well, unless people are allergic to the saliva or something, a freshly washed Yorkie is something unusual to be allergic to. I am very allergic to labs and other dogs besides Yorkies, Shih-Tzu's and dogs with the same hair and they MUST be bathed weekly. My eyes get red, can't breathe - yet Sammy & Loki sleep in my bed just fine. So whatever dog she got that she's not allergic to, I doubt she is more allergic to your dogs.

That said, of course you want to ask. I'm VERY allergic to cats and can't even go to people's houses with cats. The girl that sits next to me at work has a cat and I sneeze all day at work. I've also had relatives assume that since I have dogs they can bring THEIR dog, and Loki is afraid of big dogs and this particular dog was a golden that hadn't been brushed in a month and was leaving hair all over my house and was not very friendly. She didn't warn me so I didn't have time to put toys away and she ended up destroying several small toys that were not meant for big dogs!!!

We took Sammy to my aunt's at Christmas (a non-dog house), but we asked first and pretty much carried her the whole time. We didn't let her run around. She enjoyed being passed from person to person. We left Loki at home because he doesn't like all the commotion. My in-laws don't enjoy my dogs so we leave them at home and don't stay long.

Also, this was more of an issue for us when the dogs were being housetrained and couldn't be left alone for long, and also before Loki got on his medicine he had to go outside to pee every 30 minutes. We HAD to take him with. Now they are trained and run around the house (more like sleep) when we are not home and we can leave them for hours and they are fine. I think they throw a party since we don't leave all that often!
She actually is allergic to yorkies though. Since Bella doesn't have hair I'm not sure about Bella, because she's already taken meds everytime she comes over. But before Bella whenever she was around Rocky she would start having an allergic reaction. She can't play with him unless she takes a benedryl or zyrtec.

I'm the same way though, I always ask people. One time my grandparents said no for Thanksgiving, but I assured them I'd bring their portable kennel and then grandpa said it was o.k. I know Rocky and Bella are welcome at my aunts house, but Rocky doesn't care for the dogs there, so I don't bring him just to avoid any confrontation between Rocky and the others. When dogs are at my house, well except for 2 to be exact, Rocky usually just ignores them. Except one time, my friend brought her puppy who was going through her biting stage, the puppy kept biting at my ankles and Rocky sat back for about 10 mins, then finally jumped up to protect me, but he never hurt her or anything. Rocky really doesn't care for this friends dog either, but he just ignores her. Bella will play with her, a couple times last night Bella growled at her, but then Bella fell asleep next to her! I know, wierd, LOL.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!