View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
Sunnie
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Default Sad news about Chester/Winston

I don't know how many of you remember Chester aka Winston, the little yorkie that was thrown over the fence into the Bakersfield SPCA. I picked him up shortly after and transported him part of the way to Vegas to be fostered by Stephanie (vixen767). He had a broken leg and was very immaciated, nothing but skin and bones. They also found out he had severe IBD among other things. Stephanie cared for him as best she could but he wasn't getting better so he was sent back to Debbie (YTCA Rescue in Orange County, CA)

Debbie sent an email last night to myself ans Stephanie and this is what she said.

Hi, ladies. I'm so sorry to have to tell you that we had to put Winston C to sleep. It turns out his liver problem was very severe & he was near death when the vet saw him. Our vet believes that he had the condition for years & either his original owner didn't recognize that he was sick (losing weight, bloated belly, lack of appetite, not feeling well) or just didn't do anything about it. Since they didn't give him any treatment for his broken leg, I tend to believe they just ignored it. The liver can regenerate as long as it's not too badly damaged or too far gone that it can respond to the proper medical treatment. Unfortunately, his was too far gone to respond. He was jaundiced when we got him to our favorite Orange County vet & he wouldn't or couldn't even walk or stand on his own. He had also lost even more weight in the last 2-3 weeks that he was in Las Vegas, despite being on the right medications & diet.

Please don't blame yourselves. You both did everything possible. I can't thank you enough for the sacrifices you both made to help him. I am upset that the Bakersfield SPCA didn't notice his symptoms while he was there. I don't know if it would have made a difference if they had started treatment then, but someone should at least have realized that something was wrong with this poor boy. If they didn't have the funds, they should have contacted every Yorkie & small dog rescue in So. CA because some of us would have responded immediately.

I don't know what your beliefs are, but I personally believe that all these precious creatures return to their Creator when their time on earth is done. The Bible says that in heaven, the lion lays down with the lamb, so we know animals are there. Winston C is now happy, healthy, & loved - forever. I'm sure he will come running to meet us when it's our turn to step in to eternity. God speed, Winston!

--
Debbie Wagner, Rescue Coordinator
Yorkshire Terrier Club of Los Angeles Rescue
yorkies.petfinder.com

I hope you will all say a prayer for this sweet baby as he travels over to Rainbow Bridge. May he rest in peace and I hope he was able to feel the love we had for him in the short time we got to know him.

Sonya
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!