View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 06:34 AM   #11
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega View Post
I've heard that too - about waiting between kibble and raw. I asked my vet and she said she didn't see any problem NOT waiting that long between the two.
I have yet to find a vet that *gets* raw, it's so frustrating.

So here's the low-down on kibble/raw: there is a super conservative school of thought that says never feed together and that you should feed kibble and raw 8 hours apart. A more moderate school of thought says one should feed kibble and raw 4-5 hours apart.

The thought is that the body digests raw food and non-raw food differently and in different amounts of time.

There is another school of thought that thinks the above statement is hogwash (I kinda reside there). The thing is, the body doesn't know if food is raw, 1/4 cooked, 1/2 cooked, or non-raw - the tummy differentiates things as carb, fat, protein, toxin etc. - and releases enzymes accordingly. It's the same for us - we eat sushi - part raw, part non-raw - and our body digests it as carb, protein, fat.

Now, there may be some truth that it takes longer to digest processed kibble than the raw - but I don't agree with the opinion out there that the kibble then halts the raw from proceeding to digest (causing fermentation); the stomach is a "churner" - and those items that are ready to move on into the intestine go ahead and do so; it's not like the entire contents must all go together as one meal. The stomach and intestines are dynamic and elastic places - and they move stuff along when the "stuff" is ready.

If you want to play it moderate, however, just feed every 4 hours - and alternate the raw feedings with the kibble feedings. You have to do what makes you comfortable. There are a lot of opinions out there - so read a bunch of them, educate yourself, and do what's best for your baby.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!