View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
dabrat76
Senior Yorkie Talker

Hi Franceen,

I will admit it's daunting. I've been feeding raw for almost 3 months now, but I've been aware of the concept for nearly 6 years and was too chicken to do it. However, we lost a 5.5 year old sharpei and a not quite 4 year old keeshond within a month of each other this past fall. Between losing the two we got SoCo. When the sharpei died so quickly on the heels of the kees, both of kidney failure, I decided that was it, I was going raw.

The vet (idiot) said it might be the food (their food was never recalled), or something they got into. I KNOW they didn't get into anti-freeze (we are BEYOND careful when it's out) and I frankly suspect that it's a coincidence that they died of the same cause. But just in case I knew that I couldn't go back to the kibble, which SoCo didn't even seem to really like. (We had to hand feed him most of the time)

I've had good friends, close family and strangers all tell me that raw food is bad for my dog. Well, I don't care. I've done the research, you haven't. It's my dog, not yours. If you don't like it, leave the room, or my house. I REFUSE to let anyone tell me what to do with my pets. And so should you. If you feel that raw, kibble or homecooking is the way to go, THAT'S YOUR CHOICE.

As for balancing the muscle and organs, it's not 50-50. They actually don't need nearly as much organ meat as muscle. And I just figured out (duh) that the gizzards are considered organ meat. So he's been getting plenty. It's not an exact science. If you're unsure, test. None of it (barring cooked bones or wreck bones) is going to kill Tootsy, and you already know she doesn't have an upset tummy from beef which is a great sign! Alot of feeding raw is personal choices. Some gives eggs and fish, some don't... it's all about what you and your pup are comfy with.

If I could make a suggestion, start with 1 meat for a week or 2 and then introduce another one, and so on. And as for Tootsy sleeping, I've read that can be quite normal when switching to raw. They kind of go through detox, getting all the kibble junk out of their system. Some have extra energy, it all depends on the dog. I did a quick search on butt licking and it can definitely come from dogs having worms, it can also be allergies, anal sacs needing to be expressed, a lot of things actually. If you know she has worms, I'd bet that's where the licking and the hunger comes from. What did your vet say?

Apart from the other thread, this website is great for helping to put your mind at ease, I've read through most, if not all, of it. http://rawfed.com/myths/

I hope that helps, and if you have questions, please feel free to ask them, if you're curious, someone else probably is too I hope you feel a little more reassured about raw feeding... it's scary at first, but you will get the hang of it eventually. And heck, even feeding the "wrong" thing is better than kibble IMHO.

Tara
dabrat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!