View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
battyboop
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Yorkie Proofing a Fence/ Fence Nightmare

So recently my neighbor got a new chihuahua for Xmas. This lady already has three dogs and she is one of those people that leaves the dogs outside most of the day/doesn't watch the dogs when she lets them out. Not my kind of lady really...but...until the chihuahua came there was never a problem.

I live in a rental house, the fence is all new on two sides of me but the fence on the side the neighbor lives on is all rotten and falling apart. My dogs Skunky, Momo, and Mochi never seemed to care or try to dig under/tear holes in the fence at all, but since the neighbor got the new dog things changed.

The new dog barks at my dogs all the time. It really frazzles and riles up my dogs. They spend the whole day running up and down the fence barking at it.
Recently Mochi (my rescue male yorkie) decided that he has had enough and started to chew through the fence to get to the neighbors dog. Well it started to chew through the fence too, resulting in TONS of holes that the neighbor has done nothing about on her side. The other day I found Mochi IN her yard after I let him out to go pee and turned my back for just one minute to answer a phone call inside. There was a huge hole in the fence big enough for ALL my dogs to get through. So me and my boyfriend went and dropped about $100.00 on some heavy mesh/metal fencing and reinforced my whole side of the fence with it. This is the high grade stuff not chicken wire, and it's holes are small and safe for my doggies. The neighbor did NOTHING and still left all her holes in the fence (the most she did was throw a brick over one on her side). All was fine until today when I heard my dogs barking when I let them out to pee. The Chihaiuha next door was IN my yard and suddenly my yorkies were both in the neighbors yard. Mochi and the neighbors dog had both dug a hole on each side of the fence and were now running lose between the two yards. They dug clean under the wire fencing on my side and under the rotten holey wooden fence too. It's muddy out here in Houston right now so it's EASY for them to dig holes.

What should I do to reinforce the fence? I rent my house and my landlord refuses to drop the $500 or so dollars it will cost to replace the whole fence section. PLUS one would think the lady next door would want to fix her own darn fence but she is one of those people that just puts their dogs outside and doesn't seem to care, so now I am going to be stuck to find the solution.

Any tips on yorkie and chihuahua proofing my fence? Should I just demand that the landlord fixes the fence? She says that it's the neighbors problem not hers (all the yards share fences in my neighborhood which I think it's totally retarded). In all my old houses the fences were double- meaning the neighbors had their own fence and I had my own fence. Any tips on fixing the fence would be much appreciated...I was thinking of putting big wooden two by fours across the bottom of the whole fence section and digging a little trench to get them down into the ground some so it' s harder to dig under. My Mochi is apparently a little digger though and I am not sure even this will keep him from digging holes...

Last edited by battyboop; 02-06-2008 at 01:37 PM.
battyboop is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!