View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
SassyLikeMom
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by For My Coby View Post
Our Shi Tzu, Reggie, has really severe storm phobias. I've read a ton on it, we've tried medication, crating, behavior modification, etc. Wanna know the one thing that I discovered that has worked as well or better than anything??

Based on treatments for autistic children, it's a sort of pressure wrap for dogs. There are a couple of different types - some based on straight pressure and some that include a material to discharge any static that dogs often feel during a storm. The pressure helps sooth the over-stimulated nerve endings during the "attack".

These coats/wraps are a little pricey, but I read a lot on the premise of their success. So what I did to try it out cheaply was buy a couple little premie t-shirts (the snap kind which is easier to put on when he's already phobic). I put them both on and they fit very very tightly. The pressure that they give him seems to calm him almost immediately. He's obviously not "fine", but he is much less close to going into a full-fledged seizure from the fear alone.

It got to the point that Reggie would look forward to my getting his t-shirts when it started to storm. (And they say that about the wraps - that animals will practically ask for them when the storm starts.) I told my groomer about this and she said that she had another lady with a yorkie that just used a tight tube sock over the trunk to do the same thing.

Funny, we often dress our pets but don't realize that there are therapeutic uses for that clothing!
wow, wonderful insight...thanks!!
SassyLikeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!