View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
dabrat76
Senior Yorkie Talker

Ok, let me preface this by saying I am by no means an expert. Abbie's Mom and Lara know far more than I do, but here's my 2 cents...

If you're looking to feed prey model raw (I do) then veggies and fruits aren't necessary, and some feel do more harm than good. I have given SoCo a couple pieces of veggies as a treat while cutting them up for me once but other than that, he gets just meat.

A typical meal (of late) is a chicken or turkey wing, leg or part of a breast (all with the bone), chicken gizzards and/or hearts, pork (no bone) and pork heart. I believe that the portion size is supposed to be 2-3% of their body weight, but I let him eat until he's done, which after the cat has some (no, he's not fed raw but he loves it) is 95% (or more) of what we put out for him. Sometimes we end up leaving something out for quite a while (everything must be room temp or warmer except for gizzards for my stubborn little monkey) and he just doesn't eat. As Abbie's Mom has said, she feeds to condition (I think that's the term) which just basically means they eat until their full after a while and self regulate.

When he gets anything that has skin and bone, he gets the skin and the bone, or at least, whatever skin is left after the cat has attacked it. Also, I'd watch the amount of beef as it's quite rich and has been known to cause "cannon butt" - I've experienced THAT first hand, not fun. The pork does too to a certain extent, but not as bad as the beef. If he gets something with no bone, I try to make sure he gets bone in the next one to balance out the stool situation.

I haven't started feeding fish yet (still not 100% clear on the bone part, and as I don't eat fish myself I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject in general) but I'm slowly starting to read more and more about it to perhaps move into fish eventually.

As you're in the U.K. and tripe is far more common there (ewww) than in North America, you should try and source some green tripe. It's supposed to be fantastic for our pups. I haven't tried to source it yet, but I expect it to be extremely difficult to find where I am and frankly SoCo is doing great without it... lol One thing I have to try harder to do is feed the organ meat. He won't touch kidney but LOVES liver, but holy cannon butt batman!

Anyway, sorry for the novel. I highly suggest reading the 36 page thread that's still going on, there's fantastic info in there... http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101885

Tara
dabrat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!