View Single Post
Old 08-05-2005, 06:04 AM   #2
centralnewyorki
YT 1000 Club Member

Animal Smiley 019

I had the same problem with Olivia. We have no yard so she doesn't have a chance to romp around outside in a yard at home. One weekend I took her to my mom's who has a huge yard. Olivia was on her leash and ran around like a mad woman and was rolling in the grass. She completely forgot she was on the leash because she was having such a good time. I tried to get her to walk on a leash in the house prior to that and she refused. I think your puppy probably isn't used to the leash and having something "guide" her where to go. She'll probably get used to it more if she doesn't feel like she's being forced to do something. Do you have a retractable leash you could use? I got a really inexpensive one at Walmart for like $8. That way, you could set her down in the yard with the leash on her and walk away a bit. Have treats and call her to you or throw a ball for her to catch. She won't want to miss a game or some treats just to keep up her stubborness. It takes time, but it will come. A retractable leash will also be good for walks. I know that if Olivia sits down and I walk away with the leash unlocked, she'll get nervous that I'm leaving her and will catch up with me. (Just make sure you don't walk too far if there are other dogs around) Give lots of praise when she does come to you or walk with you on the leash.

Good luck, and I hope this helps. These little yorkies sure know how to be stubborn some times!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!