Thread: false or not?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2005, 07:34 PM   #5
schatzie
Moderator Emeritus

Idenise, I found this on a search tonight regarding false pregnancies.

False Pregnancies

Q: Hi, I have had two female yorkies with false pregnancies with complete with milk. What is the treatment for this? How serious is this? One is 6 years old and the other is 9 years old. Would spaying in these girls need to be done on a emergency basis? Are some breeds more susceptible to false pregnancies?

(Both girls were going to be spayed next month but did not know if it needed to be done right away with a emergency charge/visit).
Thanks, B

A: False pregnancy is probably a normal outcome for an estrus period in which mating does not occur, in dogs. Unlike most species, dogs produce progesterone at levels sufficient to maintain pregnancy whether they get bred or not. Therefore, it is likely that many dogs experience at least some degree of "false pregnancy" after an estrus period. It is not an emergency situation. There are medications to suppress the symptoms of false pregnancy but there tends to be a rebounding of signs once the medications are discontinued, so I favor not treating this condition if possible. Most bitches will stop having signs about 80 days after the estrus. They often will produce milk and there can be signs such as nesting behavior or mothering of inanimate objects. If milk production causes discomfort an analgesic such as aspirin may be helpful. Do watch for signs of pyometra (uterine infection), including drainage from the vulva, increased drinking and urinating, inappetance or lethargy. If these signs occur it would be a good idea to see your vet. Pyometra is more common after estrus than at other times. I don't think that false pregnancy makes a bitch more likely to have pyometra, it is just something to watch out for in any intact female dog. I am not aware of a breed predilection towards false pregnancy but can't say there isn't one, either.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!